What is the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)?

By |2019-08-22T06:49:30-04:00May 2nd, 2016|Categories: , , , , , , , , , , |

The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) prohibits discrimination and ensures equal opportunity for persons with disabilities in employment, State and local government services, public accommodations, commercial facilities, and transportation.

What should be included in my child’s educational records?

By |2019-08-22T06:49:30-04:00April 30th, 2016|Categories: , , , , , , , , , , |

Under FERPA, the term educational records includes any records that are directly related to the student and maintained by the school. That is a pretty broad definition and includes all of the educational evaluations, IEP’s, [...]

Can I review my child’s educational records?

By |2019-07-23T15:07:21-04:00April 30th, 2016|Categories: , , , , , , , , , , |

Yes, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) both give parents the right to inspect and review their children’s education records. If you want to review [...]

Where does my child go to school when there is a due process hearing?

By |2016-05-02T13:11:15-04:00April 30th, 2016|Categories: , , , , , , , , , , |

When a due process hearing is pending, children have a right to “stay put,” meaning the child stays in the “then current placement” until the administrative hearing is resolved. The school can’t simply change the [...]

What is due process?

By |2019-07-23T15:08:39-04:00April 30th, 2016|Categories: , , , , , , , , , , |

Due process is an administrative hearing before the Connecticut State Department of Education to resolve disputes between parents and school districts regarding special education services. It is a formal hearing before a hearing officer. Both [...]

What if the school wants to change what is being provided to my child?

By |2016-05-02T13:11:42-04:00April 30th, 2016|Categories: , , , , , , , , , , |

Unless you and the school agree in writing to change the IEP outside of the annual review, changes to your child’s IEP can only be made by the PPT. The school can schedule (and you [...]

Can I refuse special educations services?

By |2016-05-02T13:11:56-04:00April 30th, 2016|Categories: , , , , , , , , , , |

Yes, you have a right to refuse special education services and, if you previously consented, to revoke your consent. Refusing services is different from disagreeing with some services. Refusing services means you are refusing all [...]

What kinds of services will my child receive?

By |2019-08-22T06:49:30-04:00April 30th, 2016|Categories: , , , , , , , , , , |

The specific special education and related services the school will provide depend on the needs of your child and must be decided by the PPT after evaluations have been completed. The PPT make decisions about [...]

What if I disagree with the results of the evaluations conducted by the school?

By |2019-07-23T15:02:13-04:00April 30th, 2016|Categories: , , , , , , , , , , |

When the school evaluates your child, and you disagree with the results of the evaluation, you have a right to request an independent educational evaluation (IEE). You do not have to explain why you are [...]

What kind of evaluations will the school do?

By |2016-05-02T13:12:39-04:00April 30th, 2016|Categories: , , , , , , , , , , |

The school is required to evaluate your child in all areas of suspected disability. Once your child is identified as a student with special education needs, the school is required to conduct re-evaluations every three [...]

Load More Posts