Being wrongfully accused of abusing or neglecting your children is devastating. Because DCF involvement can result in removal of your children, it is important to take allegations seriously and seek legal assistance early in the process. As a certified child welfare law specialist, I represent parents throughout DCF proceedings, from investigation to trial.
I also represent parents of children who have been abused or neglected by others entrusted with their care, such as coaches, teachers, or staff in a residential treatment facility. When a child is abused by a trusted adult, the impact on the child and family is profound. Parents are faced not only with helping their child and family heal but also with the investigations and the associated administrative and legal proceedings that may follow. Parents often find that they are provided with very little information about the DCF investigation. I help families navigate through the process and get the information they are entitled to.
Representation may include:
- Explaining your legal rights;
- Assisting with obtaining access to information;
- Advising parents throughout DCF investigations, including “Family Assessment Response” (FAR) cases;
- Communications with DCF case workers;
- Representation in DCF administrative hearings to contest substantiation and/or registry findings;
- Representation in the Superior Court for Juvenile Matters; and
- Representation in appeals of child abuse and neglect cases before the Connecticut Appellate and Supreme Courts.
For useful links please click here.