I provide representation to parents of children with significant mental or behavioral health needs. Children can experience a range of mental health and behavioral health needs, including but not limited to depression, anxiety, ADHD, oppositional defiant disorder, conduct disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, and obsessive-compulsive disorder. Private therapy isn’t always adequate to address the needs of a child with mental health or behavioral health needs. Obtaining the right combination of services to meet your child’s needs can be challenging.
Your child may need educational modifications and/or accommodations through a 504 Plan or intensive therapeutic services as part of a special education program. At times, children require intensive therapeutic services accessible through the voluntary services program of the Department of Children and Families (DCF). Children with intellectual disability may be eligible to receive services through the Behavioral Services Program of the Department of Developmental Services (DDS). Navigating the multiple systems available to obtain services can be daunting, especially when parents are managing significant behaviors at home. Every child’s needs are unique. I take the time to listen to parent concerns, help parents identify what services might be helpful and how to obtain them, and help them navigate the multiple service systems.
Representation may include:
- Representation in 504 or PPT meetings to obtain appropriate educational services;
- Representation in mediation and administrative proceedings to resolve disputes about special education services;
- Assistance with the application to voluntary services through the DCF;
- Attendance at meetings with DCF to advocate for appropriate services;
- Assistance with obtaining eligibility and seeking supports through the Behavioral Services Program from the DDS; and
- Representation in administrative proceedings to resolve disputes about eligibility and/or services from state agencies like DCF and DDS.
For useful links please click here.