I help parents advocate for special education services and ensure that their children receive a free appropriate public education (FAPE) under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). Whether your child has learning disabilities, mental health needs, cognitive limitations, or autism, obtaining a truly individualized education plan (IEP) with appropriate special education services is critical to his or her well-being. Special education law is complex and parents often struggle to navigate a sea of laws, policies, and procedures in an effort to obtain appropriate special education services for their children. The process can be frustrating and exhausting for parents.
As an experienced special education attorney, I understand the importance of fighting to get the right special education services to meet your child’s needs. I work closely with parents of children with special education needs to understand and identify their child’s unique strengths and needs, identify the goals of legal representation, and develop a plan of action to obtain appropriate special education services. I take the time to explain special education law, outline your legal options, and help you make decisions about your child.
Representation in special education cases includes a comprehensive review of your child’s educational records and may include:
- Advocating for appropriate accommodations through Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act;
- Attendance at Planning and Placement Team (PPT) meetings and advocacy for appropriate educational program and evaluations;
- Advocating for appropriate Individualized Education Programs (IEP), including advocacy for extended school year services (ESY), out of district educational services, residential educational services, and transition services;
- School discipline proceedings;
- Filing requests for administrative due process hearings before the Connecticut State Department of Education;
- Filing complaints with the Connecticut State Department of Education; and
- Litigation in federal court.
For useful links please click here.