Can kids with anxiety and depression receive special education services?

By |2019-08-22T06:49:29-04:00October 10th, 2018|Categories: Education, mental health, Special Education Services, Students with Disabilties, Uncategorized|Tags: , , , , , , |

Yes, they can! Schools often overlook children with mental health needs like anxiety and depression, particularly when those mental health needs that manifest themselves internally. Depression and anxiety are often invisible.

How do I get my child identified to receive special education services?

By |2019-08-22T06:49:29-04:00October 10th, 2018|Categories: Education, Special Education, Special Education Services|Tags: , , , , , , |

If you suspect your child may need special education services, it isn’t always easy to figure out how to get the school to provide special education services. The process can be pretty complex and daunting, especially for parents who are new to it.

Can my child’s paraprofessional come to the PPT meeting?

By |2019-08-22T06:49:29-04:00April 7th, 2016|Categories: child advocate, Disability Discrimination, Education, Special Education|Tags: , , , |

Yes! Parents of children with special education needs often wonder if they can invite the paraprofessional working with their child to the PPT meeting. In Connecticut, parents can not only ask for paraprofessionals to participate in the PPT, they have a right to it! In 2015, the Connecticut legislature amended the law to make it clear that parents the right to have the school paraprofessional assigned to the student attend the PPT meeting